Over the years, we have received many questions about our bookkeeping and tax return services. Below you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions.

Business services related questions

Are you taking new clients?

Yes! We are always accepting new clients for both tax returns and bookkeeping services.

What do you charge to complete a tax return?

Basic returns start at just $100. Prices vary depending on the complexity of the return.

What are your bookkeeping rates?

Bookkeeping rates vary by need. Please call for more information.

Do I need an appointment for my taxes?

We encourage you to drop your tax documents off during regular office hours. We will ask you some basic questions at that time. When we are working on your return, we will call you with questions and schedule an appointment if needed.

If you have specific questions or a situation that you would like to discuss you may email or call our office to schedule an appointment.

Tax related questions

What do I need to bring for you to prepare my taxes?
New Clients:

  • You may print and fill out the 2 Page Client Questionnaire to bring in
    with your tax documents.
  • A copy of your prior year return, if available.

Here is a basic checklist of other items for both new and returning clients:

Income Documents –

  • W-2’s from all jobs for Taxpayer, Spouse & Dependents
  • 1099-INT’s (Interest Income from Savings Accounts)
  • 1099-DIV’s (Dividend Income)
  • 1099-R (Retirement Distributions)
  • 1099-G (Unemployment Income)
  • 1099-SSA (Social Security)
  • Income from Business/ Rental
  • All other income documents

Deduction Documents –

  • 1098 – (Mortgage Interest Statements)
  • Property Tax Statements
  • Charitable Giving
  • Childcare
  • 1098-E (Student Loan Interest)
  • Deductions for Business/ Rental
  • Deductible medical receipts
  • All other tax deduction documents

How big will my refund be?

Each tax return varies and cannot be estimated until all factors have been considered.

What is the federal mileage rate?

The 2017 business standard mileage rate is 53.5¢ per mile.
The 2018 rate is 54.5¢ per mile.

Can I deduct my vehicle expenses?

Qualified vehicle expenses can be deducted in certain circumstances when the vehicle is used for business and/or business travel, medical or charitable purposes. In most cases we can use the standard mileage rate, but in certain situations you may want to use your actual expenses.

Please contact us to discuss your personal situation. If you have qualified expenses, you may fill out the Vehicle Expense Worksheet.

Do you complete other state’s returns?

Yes! Even though Alaska does not currently have a state income tax, we are able to prepare tax returns for all states that do.

Where is my refund?

If it has been at least 4 weeks since your return was filed, you can email Diana to request an update on the status of your refund. Be sure to include your name in the request.

Can I deduct improvements to my home?

Generally, home improvements are only tax deductible if you rent all or a portion of your home, or if you have a business in your home. However, you may be able to claim an energy credit for qualified expenses.

Please click here for the official IRS list of what qualifies. Please let us know if you have any further questions or if you are not sure if your expense qualifies.

Can I deduct my medical expenses?

Most qualified medical expenses are deductible but are limited to the amount over 10% of your adjusted gross income, and you must be able to itemize to deduct them. Contact us to help you determine if you may have enough medical expenses to deduct.

Forms and Resources

As a new client, the following forms may be helpful:

Clients who filed a return with us last year can request…
(Be sure to include your name when making this request!)

  • a Personalized Tax Preparation Checklist.
  • a Client Organizer.

Government Links

Internal Revenue Service

  • Tax forms and Publications as well as tax advice and lots of
    great information. http://www.irs.gov

Social Security Administration

  • Learn how the Social Security Administration can help with your
    retirement, medicare, disability, survivorship and other
    benefit questions. http://www.socialsecurity.gov

Business Forms

New Employee Forms